Sunday, July 3, 2016

Mexico City

In May, I was fortunate to go to Mexico City for work for a few days. I've never been to Mexico and was excited to experience a country so rich in culture and history.  Traveling internationally always gives me great perspective. I've travelled to Europe and I'm always inspired by how full they are with life and so aware and proud of their history. Mexico City is the same. As I spoke with my Mexico City peers, my ears were completely open to their stories and culture. One of the things I'm intrigued by is pyramids were found under the existing city and there is a body of water in that. My mind starts to wonder about the mysteries and history that have taken place during these times. Also since I'm curious and analytical, I also wonder how was it possible to build a town on top of a town?  Another fact is Mexico City has the most museums in the world.

Being so hospitable, the local team suggested wonderful options to explore, eat, see, including museums, pyramids, restaurants.  The first night my co-worker and I were taken to a restaurant called Hacienda de los Morales. It is a massive property that now serves as a restaurant and event location. The Spanish influence stands out in a Mexican city that has modernized over time. It's the perfect setting for a special occasions. Many nooks and crannies to explore including party rooms, lounges and chapels all impeccably decorated and true to the history of this estate.  The food was delicious and the energy was amazing. There were musicians playing in the dining room and parties taking place in other areas of the property. I enjoyed a dish of shrimp wrap in a potato crust, stuffed with a cheese that reminded me of cream cheese, accompanied with a mango sauce.  Simple, delicious and so fresh. All of the food we experienced from fruit to seafood tasted so ripe and fresh, as if locally sourced.  


Our second and last night, we were trying to fit in some sightseeing but time was so limited we were only able to make it downtown to Centro Histórico. It was their rainy season so it rained every night and their traffic is insane. It truly makes DC traffic seem not so bad in comparison.  Our plan was to take a hop-on, hop-off bus downtown but it took so much time for an uber to get to us, then we sat in traffic for 40 minutes to only go a short distance, we requested our uber driver to take us straight downtown. Along the way, we were able to see other parts of the city that ranged from modern to historic. 

We had dinner at Azul Histórico, a patio located in the center of the 17th century palace of the counts of Miravalle which is now a boutique hotel called Downtown Mexico. As we waited for our table to be available, we discovered boutique shops, an art gallery, and a chocolatier. The chocolate shop, Que Bo!, had a variety of chocolates, my favorite was mango covered in chocolate with a spicy powder on top. The combination of spicy and sweet was amazing. 

This trip was just a taste of what this great city has to offer. I would love to return and visit the many locations this place has to offer including the pyramids, ruins, shops, museums, cathedrals and the list goes on. 

Many pics below!



No comments: